Sunday, December 27, 2015

Lessons from Coetzee

When we are jealous, we make up stories against ourselves. We work up our own feelings, we frighten ourselves.


A child loved too much, a child become the object of such intimacy that it dare not be allowed to live. Murderous Tenderness, Tender Murdurousness. Love turned inside out like a glove to reveal its ugly stitching. 


He could imagine staring into the fly's eyes while its wings were being torn off: he was sure it wouldn't blink; perhaps it would not even see him. It was as though, for the duration of the act, its soul went into the female.


I have lost my place in my soul.


How does Coetzee know Dostoevsky like this? Or the dirty corners of our souls like Dostoevsky did?

1 comment:

Srinivas Mazumdar said...

Coetzee sounds very somber and grim .
I hope you'll explain the analogy with Dostovesky to me someday.
Like your style . Abstruse to say the least.
Keep it flowing.
K